Sunday, January 24, 2010

Room To Grow...

To Love Someone Is To Give Them Room To Grow

The poster is very cool....the colors of yellow, orange & green are still bright...after years and years....

It was a lifetime ago when a friend who loved me....but probably never understood the restlessness in me...gave me that momento as a "going away" gift....

I was 19 or 20...and much like Mary Tyler Moore....I was setting off on the grandest adventure of my life ....moving to the BIG city....to make my mark on the world....

....I changed...myself...to change...my life...

It's been a while since I've thought about that little poster....not sure why it popped into mind this morning...

It has hung prominently in every single place that I ever lived since the day it was given to me...it has always been important...and special....

A couple of years ago...when my daughter was 19 or 20...& moved into her first apartment...she came to me & said, "You know Mom...I've always loved that message....can I take it with me....to remind me of you?!?"

Now it hangs with her.  It reminds her of me.  It reminds me of you.  Imagine that.

Thanks, Debbie, for being the best "big sister" anyone could ever have....patient, kind, supportive...your wisdom & advice has traveled with me through every day of my life...& continues to brighten the life of the next generation....how cool is that?!?

Change myself....to change my life....that's what I have been mulling over the past week or so...ever since I got that "God Wants You To Know Today" message that said something like "you're not given according to what you want...but according to who you are.  Change yourself to change your life."

Immediately raised this queston for me...

If the person I would have to become... in order to have what I want... isn't someone I want to be, where does that leave me?

Oh, there's the "change myself" thing....

I've been doing that for the last four years....ever since LIFE changed on me....and it's been hard....letting go of things that weren't really part of me...searching for the lost pieces of myself....rediscoveingr things about me ---the fun, vital things that had become dull & dingy over time...find the MJ that somehow got lost along the way...

I am pretty much liking ME these days...

Yes, it's still a work in progress...

...and I am still facing the hurts...the disappointment...the bitterness...feeling them & letting the m go...

I am finding in myself the spirit of that young woman who was ready to take on the world...filled with confidence...and hope...

So I'm thinking ...that right now....I am not going to change myself in order to get what I THINK I want...guess that means I will have to work on changing my view of what it is I want...

I will simply wait for what's coming my way based on "who I am"...I know, I know....whatever God has planned for me is far more wonderful than anything I could ever dream up myself...

*sigh*

...which leaves me where I've been for a very long time...

...impatiently waiting patiently....


1 comment: