Saturday, November 20, 2010

Comfy, cozy, homey ...

The moving ... from the upstairs to the downstairs ... from the downstairs to the upstairs ... continues...

Like all changes, it's been a process.  Interesting thing is that Jessi who is so familiar-driven has adjusted nicely to the turpsy-turvy idea of swapping her space for mine.  And I who am the one who thrives on change is struggling somehow with the whole thing.

Today I have made a tremendous amount of progress in preparing the room upstairs.  Ripped out the last bit of carpet in Jessi's old room ... arranged the furniture ... hung some pictures ... placed some interesting things around to make it feel, well, for lack of a better word ... homey.

There's an original "Holly Hobby"-ish painting that one of my Mom's friends ... one of my favorite people ... painted for me when I was very young.  And a gigantic purple Crayola bear that was given to Abbi when she was about 2 years old.  And a goofy looking doll with long arms & legs that was made especially for me by a best friend in Junior High ... he DOES have a name but I can't tell you ... it's a secret ... what "happened" in a Junior High girl's imagination should stay  ... well, I plead Vegas-style confidentiality.

It has been fun ... kinda sorta. 

A little bit ago, it struck me that the project was reminiscent of those times in my past when I was moving into places that were the springboards for fresh starts. Like my dorm room at college ... that first little apartment in Dallas ... the cute little house with the fenced in yard when I ventured off to the east coast for the very first time. 

Small, cozy places .... providing safe harbor while I found my bearings ... as I raced forward into a new adventure ... or life .... that's exactly what the room-that-used-to-be-Jessi's feels like ... to me ... right now.

I found $1.14 underneath the last bit of carpet that I ripped out today.  And a handful of pieces ... from a variety of puzzles.  Prosperity abounds.

I mustn't get too comfortable, though ... because it's temporary.  It's actually a room that I am preparing for a friend ... who will be making a new start ... here ... in January.

Next week I will start over ... in the room-that-used-to-be-Abbi's.

Yeah. A new year ... a new life ...

... & random pieces to my puzzle ...

http://www.lifelessons-mj.blogspot.com/
(c) November 2010

1 comment: