Saturday, September 25, 2010

Perspective

One in 10 million.

Close to five years ago, soon after my divorce, I was badgered into taking the personality profile on eharmony.com by a misguided & quirky employee.  The multi-page description of myself was pretty darn accurate ... and the very specific & detailed description of my "perfect" man was astounding ... seriously, I couldn't summarize exactly who I am looking for more clearly & succinctly ... if I tried!

Yep.  I still have it.  And every once in awhile I take it out & review it.  It always makes me smile!

Back to the story ... personlity profile pegged me ... AND what I am looking for in a  date ... a friend ... a partner.   So I clicked the tab ... I was on my way to the rest of my life ...

Ha. Ha Ha.  It's been one of my favorite stories for years.  NO MATCHES!

Not in my zip code.  Not in my state. Not in America.  Not anywhere in the entire world of eharmony.com.  Not a single one.

Took the silly thing a year or so later .... and printed out the description of my perfect man again ... so that I could compare it to the first one ... you know, odds are they wouldn't be the same ... line for line, word for word, the two multi-page summaries are identical ... verbatim ... exactly the same. 

And so were the results.  No matches.

So it has been my conclusion that if there are 10 million subscirbers on eharmony.com and not a single one of the men is a match for me ... than my man must be one in 10 million.

That's what I have been thinking. 

It's a great story.  And I have stuck to it.  I have done the math ... and have scientific, mathematical proof that I know at least one man who is "one in 10 million"...

Funny.  Very funny. 

However, my turtle ponderings have brought me to a fresh outlook ... a different perspective ...  maybe it's not the man that God created to fit me perfectly that's uniquely individual ... special ... rare ...

One in 10 million ...

... maybe it's ME!

(C) Mary Jane Sawyer, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment