Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Timing....

It was an experiment. That's all. And the outcome was amusing....and predictable. Seriously. I don't know how I let myself get talked into these things.

I had decided to take a week or so....and just do things differently....see what the impact would be on me and those around me....you know, that thing about if you do the same things the same way you will alway get the same results....some DIFFERENT outcomes would be great...

Based on that, a friend said ok.....so what about meeting some new people?!?! Why don't you try Match.com?!? It has worked for a lot of people we know....

Yeah, right....if you say so....but what the heck....why not?!? It might be fun.

So I created a profile on Friday and signed up for the "free" 3-day Trial....and thought, let's see who I meet....

Many of you know my eharmony.com story .... zero matches in the entire world of 10,000,000 eharmony subscribers....

And then there was the match.com story from last year....where my out-of-town friend.....in an attempt to be "helpful"....did a key word search using three adjectives that she thought BEST described me....a 100 mile radius of my zip code....and an age range starting 5 years younger & ending 5 years older....LOL

She said she just wanted to find some men for me to "talk" to.....who were looking for someone "just like you, MJ!"

And so she put all the info in and hit "search".....came up with ONE match.....

It's a funny story all by itself.....still the results of both of those past "experiments" were not offering me much hope of success this time....

Time was up yesterday....here's what happened:

Posted profile

Sent out 17 emails because I figured it wasn't a fair experiment if I just "waited" & I got zero actually replies to the emails

Well, one sent the automatic "we are not a match due to distance" reply & one sent the automatic "I have recently met someone and want to see how it goes" reply....least they were courteous

I received 18 winks.

Fifteen of them were from "imaginary" men....with bogus profiles....

How do I know?!?! Because when I went back to view their profiles at the end of the three days....the message came up saying "I am sorry the profile you are looking for is no longer available."

Imagine that.

Two men IM'd me while I was online. Both of them immediately wanted to take it over to Yahoo Messenger so that we would be "safe" while we chatted.

Didn't take but a minute or two to realize that neither of them were who they said they were either....LOL....one of them became fairly indignant when I suggested he "wasn't from the US"

"Why you say that", he said....."Because you say you are from Michigan...and you don't know where that is," I replied. "And you don't know where Arkansas is.....and you don't know what the Reader's Digest version of anything means...."

Ha Ha

So my profile was viewed 101 times.....

25 of those were from men who lived somewhere besides Arkansas...

25 of those were actually from men in my geographic area -- none of whom I found interesting enough to contact...guess what?!? I am not looking for "dramma" either! and NASCAR is not on my list of favorites...

10 of them were either on the high side or the low side of my age range...

Which means that a little less than half of them were either repeat lookers or people browsing around on match.com for .... well, who knows what reason.....sport?!?! ...window-shopping?!?!....stalkers!

Needless to say the outcome wasn't surprising....online dating is definitely not FOR ME!

....and I was willing to accept that it might have been a timing issue in the past.....but, no, it appears that it's not about timing at all.....at least not for the online dating thing...I have known all along that wasn't going to be the answer...

Or maybe it's what Joel Olsteen said the other nite.....

I wandered through the den to let Pete out before turning in...it was late and Jessi was asleep on the couch with the t.v. still on...and there was ole Joel....talking about answered prayers....

He said....and I am para-phrasing.....sometimes God gives you the answer....and there's no doubt about the fact that it IS the answer....then you act in response to the obvious answer only to find that it doesn't happen....or it doesn't go the way that you would obviously think it would go....

And maybe you step back and say....hmmm.....maybe I got that one wrong....maybe I misunderstood somehow....maybe I took the information & the indications and turned them around somehow to fit what I think I want rather than seeing where it clearly leads....

So again, you wait for the answer.....and it comes....and again, there's no doubt about the fact that what you thought FIRST was the answer.....really and truly IS the answer....and you pursue the outcome once more....because this time, there's no question of success....right?!?!

Wrong. Sometimes it's the RIGHT answer....it's just the WRONG time....and eventually, the answer will come to pass....usually when you have tucked it away...forgotten about it for the time being... and least expect it....

The answer becomes reality when the timing is right....

Guess that means I am totally back to impatiently waiting patiently.....

www.lifelessons-mj.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment