Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Walk On Water

Clarity. Confidence. Courage.

That's the very specific prayer I have been praying for most of June.  A specific prayer ... for someone specific ... that has managed to wash over me ... too.

I carried it along with me on my vacation.  You see, I knew that a bunch of clarity had come my way ... and a tad bit of confidence ... but I have no idea if any of those things had been received in the life of the party for whom the prayer was intended.

So prayers are continuing ...

Courage was a last minute add-on.  It wasn't part of the original prayer.  Somewhere along the way it just seemed to flow in ... and to fit.

Pondering time ... a lot of it ... was part of my original vacation plan.  I've been waiting on BIG answers for quite a while ... to my life questions.  Somehow I knew I was going to find some of them
at the beach.

Nothing went as planned ... the entire week.  Well, except for one special visit at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday.  I made that observation ... and was firmly reminded ... "I told you I'd be here at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday ... and here I am!  You can always count on me!"

It made me smile.  No doubt. He is one friend I can always count on!

Spontaneity won out ... and the week was amazing.  Full of fun ... friends ... and answers. 

Sunday morning ... I wandered into my old church ... for the first time in years and years.  It felt familiar and comfortable.  And the welcome was warm ... just like I remembered it ... from old friends ... and others who saw me only as a vacationing visitor.

We settled into our pew.  And the service began.  It's a traditional Baptist church ... with a traditional order to things.  Somehow that was reassuring.

People need the Lord ...
... at the end of broken dreams, He's the open door ...

Singing along, it crossed my mind that I don't think I've ever heard this song ... much less sang it ... since I was there during some other life.  And it spoke to me ... directly ... because I am struggling with doors right now ... open ones ... closing ones ... and enlarging that pesky window ...

Your grace is enough ... for me ...

Nudging me ... a little ... the song was connecting me ... to a place called Grace ... and back to this place that had been my place before ... the tempo & energy were a little different ... the feeling was still cozy & comforting.

God will make a way ... He will make a way for me ...

The music was getting personal now.  A message unto itself.  And the whisper came,  
"You always found me here ... I am always waiting for you there.  Wherever you are, MaryJane, that is where I am too."

Caught offguard ... once again, things weren't gong as planned.  Sure, it was going to be pleasant and nice to be there again ... to worship in that familiar place ... but there's been a lot of time and changes since I was last there ... life is different now ... I am different.

Glanced up to the screen ... as the Pastor was leading into the message ... His message ... there didn't used to be a screen ... and I thought ... things are different here, too.

The Miracle of Walking On Water

That's what it said on the screen.  It grabbed my attention right away.  So I settled in ... for the rest of the story.  I think sometime in the past this Pastor had visited there and preached when it was my every Sunday place ... and now it's his every Sunday place. 

Every miracle has a specific message.  That's what he said.  This one ... walking on water ... is the miracle of ... confidence.

"Are you listening, MJ?!?  This one is especially for you!"  That's what my best friend, God, Creator of the Universe said as He softly laughed in my ear.  "I can double-team you ... anywhere!"

You recall the story, I am sure.  It's found in Matthew 14:22-35.  Jesus was going to take a break ... spend a little time in prayer ... so He sent the disciples on ahead ... in the boat.  Truth is, Jesus deliberately sent the disciples into the storm.

The waves rose .. and the wind blew up.  It was a sustained storm at first.  One that the disciples felt sufficient to handle on their own.  They were fishermen, after all.

The storm grew stronger.  Jesus approached the boat.  Walking on water. In the midst of the storm, Jesus called to Peter ...  to step out of the boat.  "Come!" 

Boldly, Peter took the step ... in faith.  And he, too, walked on the water.  Looking around ... the reality of the situation sank in ... and he lost his confidence ... and he sank ... right along with it.

There were a lot of messages ... in the message ... MJ-messages, without question.

It feels safe in the boat.  Comfortable. You are just like everyone else there. Step out of the boat. Into the uncertainty. The uncomfortable. Get your feet wet. Try something impossible. If you have confidence, then why are you worried? Confidence brings miracle mentality. Lack of confidence will destroy your peace & productivity & dreams. Confidence is important to a successful life. God has a plan for your life ... MY life ... He wants ME to trust Him.

Then came a rapid-fire finale ... 

How long has it been (MaryJane) since you heard the Lord say to you, "Come!" ?
How many times has He said "Come!" & you stayed in the boat?

Are you sinking?  The guys in the boat can't help you.
Impossible becomes possible ... because Jesus IS here.

The gentle giggle was now a full-blown rollicking roll-on-the-floor laugh ... with snorts.  

"Of course, I am here, MJ ... wherever you are ... I am.  And aren't you the one, MaryJane, who always says anything's possible ?!?!  Here I am."

There is absolutely no doubt that the Miracle of Confidence ... was waiting in that sleepy little church ... for me.  The Pastor even played the word-snob card on me.  

CON - means "with".  FIDERE - means "to believe in".  Confidence is living with faith.  Faith makes the impossible possible.  It's when the soul sees farther than the eyes.

Clarity had already been discovered walking on the beach ... with the water lapping up over my feet.  And the VOICE OF TRUTH ... said ... do not be afraid ...

No one else heard the music ... and no one else sang along ... just me ... knowing for certain that what's coming next ... is following the rhythm of ... clarity ... confidence .. courage.

And then there was a good ole Southern Baptist altar call ... an invitation ... and the congregation sang ...

  
 It wasn't exactly the same as singing an energetic Springsteen or Bob Dylan song at Grace Community ... yet ... it felt exactly the same to me.  Singing this 1970 Pop Gospel song ... was every bit as bold as that ... here at Manteo Baptist Church.

The Pastor said that Jesus walked on the water ... showing up with the miracle of confidence ... during the 4th watch.  He always comes in the unexpected hour ... in an unexpected way.

That's how it was ... for me ... last Sunday.

Peter walked on water ... TWICE ... that night.  Once on his own ... and once holding Jesus' hand.  It's easy to forget that part ... as if it's the sinking part that's important.

 And, of course, He always likes to have the last laugh ... and this day was no different. The punchline actually came BEFORE the singing of the radical, contemporary invitation ... 

At the time, I had an image of George Burns ... in OH GOD! ... wagging His cigar as He offered it up
...

Why did Peter SINK ?!?!
He lost his 
F O C U S 

Ba da bing.  Nudge. Nudge. 
"Do you get it, MaryJane?!?!  Peter lost his ... focus!"


www.lifelessons-mj.blogspot.com
(c) June 2012



 

3 comments:

  1. Mary Jane, that may be as good a sermon as I've ever heard! Preach on sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but I really can't take any credit! The message flowed from God's lips to Rev. Ken Simpson's ears ... and then I converted it to MJ-speak for you to read here. I sure hope God & Ken don't mind my spin on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks - I needed that. . . . . .

    ReplyDelete