Monday, June 11, 2012

Learning new things ...

Today .... I am going to do something ... I have never done before.

I love learning new things.

Funny thing is ... I am putting it off. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I don't know how long it's going to take. Or how hard it's going to be to figure out.

Or maybe it's because it's going to be somewhat mundane & routine. The only interesting thing about it being the doing of something I've never done before ... like maybe, I will be bored with it ... long before I am done ... because it's too easy ... not really a challenge ... just a necessary process.

And my mind wanders to my little rabbit.  The one that lives in my yard.  Actually, it appears that he ... and a friend ... play in my grass.  And that makes me smile.

One day last week, as I was heading out on my early morning walk, I noticed the little cottontail over in the yard across the street.  He was alert ... poised for action.  And as is his habit, he made direct eye-contact ... never flinching ... commanding my attention ... delivering his message.

I am never sure if I am getting the message, though.

Then he took off.  Hopping briskly ... setting the pace for my walk ... he led me all the way to the corner. He even made the turn ... before he stopped ... to nibble the grass in the yard that Pete, the mighty dog, used to fertilize on a daily basis.

Inspired by the simple act of encouragement ... I decided to stretch myself ... go the distance ... take a few extra minutes with my best friend, God, Creator of the Universe. There's so much ground to cover lately ... figured it was as good a time as any to add that extra block to my daily route.

Pounding the pavement ... drilling it down ... came up with a simple prayer ... just two words ...

Confidence ... and ... Clarity.

A specific prayer. For a specific person. To be offered up continuously. Unconditionally.

Not sure if the answers are being found over there ... in that life ... yet.

It's funny, though, an abundance of both have come along to me.  As a result of that prayer.

Confidence. Clarity.

Over the weekend, a nudge came ... to add ... courage ... to the prayer as well.  Not sure if that's for me ... or the original object of my prayer.

My guess is that ... confidence ... clarity ... courage ... are all things either of us would gladly welcome.

Jessi reminded me ... when I randomly said the prayer out loud ... that courage was what the Cowardly Lion wished for ... but he didn't really have to wish ... cuz he had it all along. Yep.  That's what she said.  And I wonder ... when did Jessi become so wise?  I am sure that she would say it's because she's ... all-grown-up-now.

When I made the loop that morning and returned to my corner ... there was my little rabbit ... exactly where I left him. This time he was simply resting ... waiting ... on me.

As I approached, he gathered himself up ... gave me the look ... wiggled his ears ... then turned cotton-tail ... and began the hop through the yards leading us both home.

Wish I could say that he's joined me ... on my morning walk ... everyday since then.  That would sure make a great story.

But he hasn't.  Just that one time.



www.lifelessons-mj.blogspot.com
(c) June 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment