Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sunshine....

Almost two weeks of glorious sunshine....

I've been distracted....a little off-kelter....not really sure of things....or myself....

So day after day after day of top-down weather has really been a blessing...

During the shoot of STEP AWAY FROM THE STONE, one of my new friends shared with me his prayer when he first joined the crew...he prayed that the relationships that were real would be advanced....and that the relationships that were not would be exposed.

It was timely & appropriate when he shared that with me.....and I have given it a lot of thought since then, too.

I knew that making the movie was going to be life-changing for me....as well as for others who were involved in the project.  However, knowing that something is going to change your life doesn't necessarily prepare you for what's going to happen next.

During the making of STEP AWAY FROM THE STONE I "lost" some good friends....they were very, very close to me....

Pete, the Mighty Dog, simply gave up the ghost.   He was old and had run his last mile.  The thought of him not being able to race from one end of the yard to the other chasing the C-130s simply wasn't an option for either one of us.  Sadly, I had to bid Pete farewell one morning.  I held him until his last breath had left him.  It was peaceful and sweet.   And I knew that I was saying good-bye to one of the most stubborn, hard-headed, loving creatures ever...to the one soul who loved me totally unconditionally!  I still get up every morning and open the door to let Pete out.  And I catch myself trying to get the door to the garage shut as quickly as possible to keep him from escaping into the neighborhood.  Last weekend when I mowed for the first time this season was when I knew Pete was really & truly gone....it just wasn't the same without him trailing behind me as I mowed...waiting to see if I would stop him as he moseyed out through the gate that I left open for him.  I miss Pete every single day.

My cousin died as well.  It was a sad, lonely death.  At the Memorial Service, the Priest observed that we should "all go" the way he did.  I am sure that he meant that somehow it was quick & painless.  Still, not to be found for days after passing is a commentary on a life that ended friendless & desolately.  It has made me realize how really precious the relationships in our lives are....and how terribly trivial are the material things that are so often the focus of our striving & desires.

Then there was the friend who simply managed to complete the wandering out of my life that had been happening over several months.  Actually, it was me who set the distance into place initially....hoping each of us would gain new perspectives....  Friends & quasi co-adventurers at times, we shared a large part of our lives & challenges with each other over the last year or so.... Some days it's really hard not to wander back into that place .... other days not so much.... All in all, it's best for both of us to follow our individual paths...

And then there was the friend who liked to play with sharp objects.  Honestly, I thought I could spot THOSE types a mile away....guess I let myself become complacent....because I was totally blindsided when I felt that familiar sensation that comes only from the knife being plunged so deeply into your back that it comes poking out of your chest.  

There also have been some amazing stories of hope....and restoration....in the lives of me & my friends....

And some incredible new friendships are flourishing from the experience as well....

Time will tell, I guess, how all the stories will unfold....

It is very cool....ALWAYS...to see God so faithfully answering our prayers....

1 comment:

  1. Mary Jane your blog is very inspiring & profound. You're truly one of God treasures.
    sdh

    ReplyDelete