Wednesday, July 7, 2010

H.A.P.P.Y. to the B.I.R.T.H.D.A.Y.

It was my birthday over the weekend.  And well wishes came rolling in from near and far.

Happy Birthday.  Happy Birthday to you.  Hope you have the happiest birthday ever. 

... and on and on and on ...  each one made me smile!

At some point I began reflecting on "happy" ... sure, I started "choosing happy" a year or so ago ... it's a constant effort ... a daily choice ... to be "happy" ... in the midst of life's chaos.

Choosing Happy was prompted by a friend's observation: 
No one can do that for me, MJ.  Make me happy.  Only I can do that for me.

He was right.  Of course.  Only he can make him happy.  Only I can make me happy.

Happy means something different to everyone.  So I decided to check out webster.com for clarification & here's what I found:

Happy is ... 

... favored by luck or fortune:  fortunate < a happy coincidence>

Coincidence, huh?!  Not likely.  Digging a little deeper I found that  "fortunate" actually means "bringing some good thing not forseen as certain" ...hmmm ... sounds a little more like that other "F" word to me ... FAITH .

Happy is ...

... notably fitting, effective, or well adapted : felicitous

That doesn't sound very exciting ... like more practical than fun ... then I looked up "felicitous" ... discovered
"pleasant" & "delightful" there ... cool, very cool.

Happy is ...

... enjoying or characterized by well-being and contentment

The example here was " is the happiest person I know"... and immediately I had visions of  Jessi telling us all that she was the "HAPPIEST girl".  Smiling.  Jessi is STILL the "happiest girl"!  Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to share with many friends about the wonderful place Jessi is in life right now.  Meaningful work, few worries, & a very special someone who makes her feel beautiful & loved.  No wonder she's HAPPY!

Happy is ...

... having or marked by an atmosphere of good fellowship

Friends are source of happiness.  Not really a surprise.  And I have the most amazing friends!  Instead of counting candles this year, I counted friends.  I am truly blessed!

This has been one of my best birthdays ever.  And the reason is that I have finally found "happy". 

It's not a euphoric, over-the-top kind of feeling.  It's simply an easy, natural contentment.  All of the "being still" is starting to make sense.  The constant motion & busyness has been a defense mechanism.  You know, finding all of those IMPORTANT reasons not to spend time on that very important friendship ... the one with myself.

For me, this year will always be remembered as the one that I took time off ... from "real life" ... the year that I allowed myself to dream BIG ... the year that I followed my heart even though it made absolutely no sense ... the year that I stretched myself emotionally, financially, spiritually ... the year that I took risks ... accepted challenges ... rediscovered MJ...

Life is good.

Going forward, this birthday will definitely be remembered as the HAPPY one.

... so take a minute ... actually, take a whole bunch of minutes ... and spend some time with yourself ... why not take a chance ... on YOU ... it's time well-spent ... start now ... figure it out ...

HAPPY ... what does it mean to you?!?!


(c) maryjanesawyer, July 2010




...

2 comments:

  1. via email - I started reading your blog this morning. I absolutely loved the one about your Daddy, and it brought back a wave of memories that were so similar. It was truly like I had stepped back in time for just a moment, and now I am filled with a combination of emotions: Happy to have been there, and Sad to have to leave. Still I am so thankful to have had in a child's eyes "a mean daddy". I loved him with all my heart and thought he was the bravest, strongest, and most handsome man in the whole world. Our world today would be such a better place if it were graced by more such men!!
    Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to read some more!

    XO XO
    Patty

    ReplyDelete