Monday, September 5, 2016

Butterflies & Balloons

My life has been bombarded by butterflies lately. Mostly yellow ones. A couple of black ones. And there was one monarch.

It pretty much started the day the Audi died. Driving the speed limit ... on the highway. First there was a surge, followed by a quiet pop and then nothing but neutral. Coasted to the side of the road and turned the car off. It was the death of the little red convertible.

She had been nothing but a hussy from the git-go. Pretty. Fun to drive.
But terribly high-maintenance ... and expensive!

As I was making the necessary calls to AAA ... and others ... I noticed a bright yellow butterfly dancing all around. Dipping & diving in the grass along the side of the shoulder ...
dipping & diving across the hood of my car.

It was so obvious ... significant ... that I commented about it during one of those calls.

For the most part, the next week or so was full of rain.

Soon I was back on the road again with my ghetto car. A nifty 2000 Toyota Celica that I christened "MaDime" because she is silver ... and for several other reasons that were obvious to me.

On the day of the first roadtrip with my new ride, there was a persistent whisper: 
"Keep your eyes on the ground. You will see something special."

So kept looking. Waiting. Found a few cans along the way... and 1 penny.

Then I came across the beautiful butterfly with the injured wing. I was able to catch it on my finger and move it off of the pavement. It made a tentative attempt to fly. Then settled on the grass.

It was special.
Afterwards, I found pennies everywhere! 16 pennies in one parking lot.

It was a blessed day!

Since then the butterfly sightings have been crazy!
Everywhere I turn, there are butterflies. Dipping. Diving. Dancing.
When I am driving. When I am walking. When I am looking out the window.

So many butterflies.

One friend with great discernment observed earlier this week, "The butterfly sightings can't be by chance, MaryJane. You have a specialness about you!"

Of course, I began looking into the meaning of butterfly sightings ... and butterfly colors.

Everyone knows all the analogies about the caterpillar turning into a butterfly. Transformation. Change. And the like.

My butterflies were not brand-new ones. Each one has been full-blown ... in its glory. And in the case of the one in the parking lot, maybe spreading their wings a little too wide and 
flying a little too fast.

Most butterflies only live 1 to 2 weeks after they are released from their cocoon. Monarchs, however, have been known to live for up to 6 months.

They are a reminder that life is fleeting and time moves quickly. Butterflies represent joy, freedom, creativity and change. They teach us to live in ... and fully enjoy ... the present moment.

It is believed in some cultures that angels often communicate through butterflies. And departed loved ones, too. Both beliefs give me comfort.

If that is the case, then there must be a lot of angels and loved ones surrounding me right now. Each time a butterfly crosses my path, I am trying to take heed and open my heart to the message of great importance that I am certain it has been sent to share ... with just me.

It has been suggested that if one is seeing a lot of butterflies, one might ask what changes in life need to be made ... today ... to live more authentically. That has caused me pause on more than one occasion.

The majority of the butterflies that have come my way have been yellow. Yellow butterflies are said to represent prosperity.

Black butterflies ... like the one in the parking lot ... represent a shift in power ... a positive change. I find that particularly interesting since it was the one with the damaged wing. I did my best to help it find its way. At another time, a black butterfly dive bombed my windshield while I was driving ... pulling up at just the last second and soaring over the top of my car. A Top Gun stunt of sorts that left me humbled ... and smiling.

A monarch butterfly is a visual reminder to live in the present. And is viewed by most as a symbol of hope. Yeah, one of those flew around me and my car, too. 

In my reading about the monarch butterfly, a scripture was referenced. It resonated with me so I made note of it:

1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you.

You see, I have had a few cares lately ... concerning prosperity ... power ... and hope.

Maybe the butterflies' are simply reminders ... especially for me ... 
that everything is going to be ok.

Got to church yesterday ... you know, at a place called Grace ... and Drew spoke to us about 
"giving up." His message was an intro to a theme that he is going to be exploring over the next few weeks.

There was a big bouquet of white balloons at the front. Helium-filled latex birthday-party type balloons. As the service moved along, a few of the balloons began loosing their oomph ... and were starting to droop towards the ground.

The balloons were part of an interactive activity he had planned for the close of the service.

Wrapping up his message, Drew shared that one of the things we ... ahem, I ... you see, at that moment He was speaking directly to me ... should give up was .. all of my cares.

Then somewhere in the midst of the passionate words ... a scripture was put up on the screen ...

1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you.

Double-teamed. Again.

Everyone was asked to come forward and get a balloon with a marker. Then either as individuals or families, the cares were to be written onto the balloons. After a blessing of the balloons, everyone was going to go outside together and release the balloons ... 
to cast all of our cares upon the Lord.

Jessi retrieved a balloon. Together we wrote some of our cares on to it. It was interesting how Jessi and I shared some of the same concerns ... in our own way:
Prosperity & Finances ... Family Connections = Her Laptop ... Future without Mom ...
 Health & Well Being of Loved Ones ... and the list goes on.

By the time we were done writing, our balloon was limp and lying on the chair. I wandered back to the front for a second balloon.

On it I wrote: "My first balloon was too heavy. It needed a friend to help it fly." I tied the two together ... hoping the stamina of the second balloon would be enough to support them both ... before heading outside.

A blessing was said over the balloons. Then came the release. There was a slight breeze that lifted some quickly ... and others more slowly ... depending on the amount of helium left in each one.

Ours was the only tandem offering. It was a little slower to rise than the others.

It was interesting to watch as the majority of the balloons were caught up ... and then gently drifting as a group towards the road and over the old furniture store that is Grace.

Our offering, however, did not follow the group. It rose slowly at first ... then catching a breeze ... it soared more quickly in the opposite direction. Away from the road. 
Carrying my cares ... to the Lord ... in its own way ... along a different path.

As my balloons drifted into a cluster of trees ... a yellow butterfly dipped & darted by its side
... and the familiar whisper came ... "Everything's going to be ok, MaryJane."

The familiar laugh of my best friend, God - Creator of the Universe, surrounded me. As always, I am humbled and amazed every single time I experience the awe of His presence ... and His attention to the details of my life.


You're strong enough to hold it all



(c)lifelessons-mj 2016





















No comments:

Post a Comment