Monday, December 19, 2011

As stories go ...

I am a little baffled by the whole "Elf on the Shelf" phenomena. 



That's exactly what it says on the "About Us" page for the Elf On the Shelf. 

Somehow I don't like the idea that Santa's elves aren't really REAL until they are adopted by some family ... with the specific purpose of spying ... and tattling ... on everyone in the house.

Not really my idea of a special Christmas tradition.
But that's just me.


I am pretty sure that some of those "original" elves have been hanging around my house since I was about 3 years old ... they came along with gifts to my brothers & me from my Aunt Merthyne. 

A big fan of Santa Claus, she was ... probably they were close friends. She would have never sent elves to spy on us in his name!

I had forgotten about those elves ... until this year ... when I found them tucked into a special holiday wreath from many years ago along with a host of other sweet favorites she sent over the years.

Davey and the First Christmas ... now that's a treasured tradition ... it's always been my Mother's favorite.  There haven't been many Christmas' in over 50 years that she hasn't read this story to some loved ones ... young or young-at-heart.

How cool to find the story being shared this way ... not sure if the book is even still in print.  Our copy is well worn & fragile. 

Enjoy!



... and for the tomboy that was MJ ... there was the Wonderful Window ... it came in a cool little box with cut-outs & things.  And it still warms my heart when the "wonderful" window POPS UP as you turn the pages ... 

The angel came in with a smile on his face.
And both he and Katie got down on their knees,
Praying, "Lord, could you spare
one
small
miracle--
please?"

No elf on the shelf for me ... I'm sticking with Davey ... and Katie ... as stories go ... their's are more in keeping with what Christmas means ... to me.

(c) December 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment