Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Thought ~ early 1970s

Here's another thing I went looking for ... in the last week.  It's a poem I wrote when I was in the 9th or 10th grade ... can't remember now what reminded me of this poem ... but I discovered a whole box of "early writings" ... that I knew was lurking around in a closet ... untouched for who knows how long ...  can't wait to spend a little time in that box ... it's gonna be full of memories ...


A Thought

by MaryJane Rogers


i have a thought
running through my mind ...
i just can't remember what it is.

that's strange ... 'cause
elephants aren't supposed to forget.

i tried tying a string around my finger but ...
a little bird flew by and stole it
for its nest.

then i tried writing a note on my hand but ...
but when you don't have a pen
it's hard to make any kind of impression.

so now i guess i'll take my butterfly net
and go searching through my brain
for my wisp of a thought.

it's playing hide-n-seek with me
OH! NO!
tag you're it!

look ... over there ... i spy
amid the cobwebs.

HEY! YOU! 
take 2 giant steps ... 1 baby step ... 2 more giant steps


ITHinkiLoveEyOU!


~ I should note here that the poem was typed on what would now be an ancient IBM Selectric typewriter .... non-correcting ... the model that had interchangeable type font balls.  It's on yellow "draft" paper that was flimsier than regular paper ... it's what your put your ideas on BEFORE you actually typed an original.


(c) November 2011

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. I have so much stuff like that... I wonder if anyone will ever read all the journals which can stack to the ceiling and back again.

    Love the butterfly net!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone will read all of it ... one day. I am sure of it! Because one day they will realize that things we took the time actually write out ... long hand ... probably mean something!

    ReplyDelete