Monday, April 25, 2011

Charmed ... I'm Sure ...

...the rains came ... & the unicorns continued to play ... capriciously ...
as if ... they had all the time in the world ...

That's what I posted as my status ... one day last week ... it sparked a couple of interesting conversations ...

Conversations about unicorns.  And their legends.  About the flood.  The faith of Noah.  About water rising.  And washing away the gritty stuff in our lives. 

Was the rain that fell on those carefree unicorns REALLY
the first rain ... ever?  Sing along with me ...


Unicorns mean different things to different people.

It is commonly held that unicorns are a symbol for purity, loyalty & devotion ... and some believe that unicorns are healers of the heart.

A healer of the heart.  How cool is that?!?!  That's exactly what my Band of Gypsys are discussing each week ... as we make our way through
WAKING THE DEAD by John Eldredge. 

Yesterday was Easter.  I sent a personal message to a friend ...

"I am come that they (that means YOU) might have life, and that
they (YOU again) might have it more abundantly"
 ~ John 10:10

Not your typical Easter scripture choice, I know.  It had come to me in the night that it was a message that needed to be sent ... the urge was very compelling ... so I did it ... just before I went to church.

Surprise ... surprise ... not.  Del's message was based on John 10 ... he covered thoroughly the verses leading up to John 10:10 ... about the sheep hearing ... and recognizing the shepherd's voice ...

I love it when things like that happen!

So as I wrote this blog, I went to get the link for WAKING THE DEAD.  Check out the very first sentence of the random review I chose as the link:

“Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.

Hmmm ... must be a very important message ... too much validation for it to be otherwise.

Now ... back to the unicorn lore ...

In the western world, the unicorn was believed to be wild & untameable .... a risk-taking adventurer, maybe ?

And in some eastern cultures the unicorn was the bearer of good luck.

The unicorn always reaches its destination -- never falling into pits or traps ... honored as a spiritual guide through life for others ...

Another legend highlights the unicorn's drive to bring harmony through insight & understanding ...

... and ... it's believed unicorns only appear when great change is on its way ...

The very same evening ... that I posted the unicorn status ... I went out to play with my friends down in Argenta ... it's always a blast!

And interesting things always seem to happen to me there ... life lesson things ... last time was the Mardi Gras shindig ... when I lost ... and then found my diamond earring ...

... unexpected ... improbable ... impossible ... things.

This time it was the 2nd Annual Celebrate the Grape wine tasting event. 

Doing my normal thing, I was working the door.  Greeting people.  Handing out the special wine glasses ... for the tasting.  Directing them over to the tables where the hand-made charms were waiting to be chosen ... by each guest.

A wine charm is a cool little "bracelet"  ... actually they look more like earrings ...  that fit around the stem of your glass.  Each one is individual & unique.  That way if you set your glass down ... you can recognize it easily as your own ... when you return.

Once the rush of early connoisseurs had arrived I wandered over to the charm table.  I am not sure if the girl sitting there was one of the artists who had created the charms or simply a volunteer like me ... we did not know each other.

As I took in all of the different colors ... and designs ... and variety of charms, I said to her "I want a FUN charm ... that's just right for me!"

... this IS a true story ... I never make these things up ... I promise!

She reached down & selected a charm. And she handed it to me ...

"Here's a UNICORN charm ... it's very special ...
& I think it's exactly right for YOU!"

Made me smile.  Another "earring" story ... on an evening in Argenta ... coincidence ... I think not.
 
I don't believe in coincidences, after all.
 
Standing on the sidewalk at the end of the evening ... I chatted with a man I know only slightly ... but have always liked a lot.  Last time we had visited was last year ... the night of my flat tire ... he had shared with me on that occasion his desire to have his whole heart back ...
 
I told him that I had thought of him often since then.  Wondering how his journey was going.  Then I shared my flat tire story with him ... and we laughed together ... at the absurdity of it ...
 
There we were ... standing on the sidewalk ... while the rain continued ... reconnecting after months & months ... and then ... he told me his story ...
of the healing of his heart ...
 
And he smiled ... the most radiant smile ... full of hope & promise & love ... and rather sheepishly he admitted that he hadn't shared his story
with anyone ... else.
 
... not yet ...
 
Just me ... standing on the sidewalk ...
clutching my little unicorn charm in my pocket ...
 
Unexpected ... improbable .. impossible ...
 
For a few minutes ... we simply stood together ... soaking up the good feelings ... & the rain ... knowing that we were sharing something special ...
 
It was an amazing encounter.  A gift of great magnitude. 

"...Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn,
"If you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."
~ THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS by Lewis Carroll

(c) April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment